CS 373 Fall 2020: Jackson McClurg
- What did you do this past week? This past week I spent a lot of time on an assignment for another CS class, but I really enjoyed working on it and it felt very rewarding. I also spent lots of time prepping for interviews and the career fair, and trying to polish up and relearn the areas that I struggle with.
- What’s in your way? I am still feeling as though I have a lot on my plate and not enough time to deal with it all. Also, I’m going to be going out of town next weekend and I will have to try to manage my time and work schedule while not being in a familiar place. Other than that, nothing serious is in my way right now so I am grateful for that.
- What will you do next week? This weekend and next week I’m going to work on more applications and things for career fair, and I’ll start diving into REST and React so that I can be ready to contribute to my team’s project. Hopefully, I am able to learn a lot and get a grasp on the language and interfaces. I’m also planning on going to the virtual career fair, so best of luck to everyone going as well!
- What was your experience of exceptions, IDB1, and types? (this question will vary, week to week) I found exceptions to be really useful in the first assignment, and I think I have a pretty good grasp on how the try, except, else, finally block works. I haven’t done IDB1 yet but I’m going to start working on things later tonight. I’m a little nervous because I don’t have much web development experience. Types seemed pretty straightforward to me, and I’m glad that we went over them because python is quite different from Java.
- What made you happy this week? This week I was really excited to finish up a project that I was working on, and Friday I got to watch a movie with my family that was really good. I’m looking forward to next week and I hope that it is even better than the past one!
- What’s your pick-of-the-week or tip-of-the-week? Sometimes when I’m working I like to listen to music as well. I find that it can help me relax and focus a little better if I’m feeling stuck. Different genres of music can help me depending on the mood that I’m in or the time of day.